TeleFinder/User is the application that connects your Windows PC to a TeleFinder BBS/ The purpose of this section is to help you to get up and running as quickly as possible. The following steps outline the procedures for installing and configuring TeleFinder/User.
- Installing TeleFinder/User
- Setting up the Connection
- Connecting to a TeleFinder BBS
- Registering with a BBS
- Icons Received from the BBS
Installing TeleFinder/UserInstall and Open TeleFinder/User.
· In Program Manager, open the "TFWIN.EXE" file by double clicking on it. This installer will automatically create a directory called "TFUWIN" for the actual TeleFinder/User application and files. It will look similar to the following window:
The TFUWIN directory contains:Tfuser.exe - this is the TeleFinder/User application
Tfuser.hlp - this file contains help information that is viewable within TeleFinder/User
sound - a directory that contains sounds for use with TeleFinder/User. The sounds can be removed or replaced with different sounds.
address.dat - this is the address book file. Used within TeleFinder/User.
signat.txt - this is the message signature file. Used within TeleFinder/User.
mdmsetup.dat - this is the modem setups file. Contains a database of modem information.
· Open the TFUSER.EXE application from inside the TFUWIN directory.
Setting up the ConnectionConfigure TeleFinder/User with your logon name, password, BBS phone number, and information about your modem.
· Enter your logon name and password into their designated fields.
· If you are connecting with a modem, enter the telephone number of the BBS in the "Telephone number" field. If you are connecting over TCP/IP (the Internet), enter an IP address or domain name in the "Telephone number" field.
Note: If you need to dial "9" to get an outside line, enter it as "9,," ( nine followed by two commas. When using calling cards, enter your calling card number in along with the telephone number. You may need to separate the telephone numbers from the calling card number with two or more commas. Each comma tells the modem to pause between the numbers.
· If you are connecting with a modem, turn off the "Use TCP/IP" checkbox. Then select the modem you are using from the list of "Modem Settings". Finally, select the COM port your modem is connected to from the list of COM ports.
· If you are connecting with TCP/IP (the Internet), turn on the "Use TCP/IP" checkbox. Enter an appropriate port number in the "Port Number" field. Normally this is 1474 for a TeleFinder BBS.
· Click in the Connect button to place the call.
Connecting to a TeleFinder BBSTeleFinder dials the number using your modem and then waits for the BBS Server to answer your call. TeleFinder will automatically make repeated attempts to connect to a busy line. Click in the Cancel button to stop.
You normally see the following messages in the Call Progress portion of the Connection window while TeleFinder is connecting.Opening the Connection Connection EstablishedAfter the modems connect, TeleFinder logs you on to the bulletin board. This is when the bulletin board checks your name and password. The BBS starts this process. You should see these messages displayed in the dialer as log on takes place.Waiting for the host Sending name and password Waiting for authorization Successful connection!If the log on fails, it is usually because the modems did not make a good connection. Poor connections often result from using the wrong settings. Select the correct modem configuration if necessary.
If your password is incorrect the BBS sends a message saying that your name or password did not match. If necessary, verify the password and try again.
Registering with a BBSIf you are not yet a registered user of the BBS or if your logon name is misspelled, your BBS will send you a message explaining what to do next. If you are already a user of the BBS, correct the name and password in the Connection window and try again. If you are a new user of the BBS, fill in the registration form to request an account.
Icons Received from the BBSAfter a successful connection, TeleFinder displays the BBS Desktop window with the icons you have access to. Double-click an icon to open it.This screen is an example of what users see after connecting to Spider Island Software's BBS. Bold icon names indicate new or recently changed files.
TeleFinder displays file area icons to provide you access to demo, shareware, and public domain software. The Mailbox icon, contains your mail. Additional icons are File, Conference, and Chat Room icons. The BBS system operator chooses the icons and names of BBS areas.
If an auto message was assigned to your account it will be automatically displayed. You can save the document as a text file or print it. The Session Time window shows BBS connection and time information.